Thursday, June 12, 2014

Arrondissement 18

So my favorite 2009 census tells me that district 18 is home to 200,631 people.  It is the second most populated and for a good reason.  District 18 is home to Montmartre (the artsy district), the Moulin Rouge, and the Sacre Coeur.  72.5% of district 18’s residents are natural French citizens and 18.1% are non-European immigrants.  If I could paint you a picture of what Paris is in my eyes it would look similar to Montmartre; little shops, beautiful cathedrals, street artists and great food.  If you have the same desire that I do to stay in this gorgeous district, I would stay in the Hotel Audran, a lovely two star option, which you can find on Rue Audran.  The price for a double room is € 139 per night.  This district is a little bit more traditional with their grocery needs, as in it’s hard to find them all in the same place.  They have boulangeries, patisseries, butcheries, fromageries and la marche all separately but usually in a row so that they are never far from each other.  However you can still find the essentials.


Eggs: € 4,60
Milk: € 1,72
Steak: € 17,50
 
Tourist Attraction:
I’m going to have to say that the biggest attraction in 18 is the Moulin Rouge.  I have not been to a show but I have seen the movie and it makes this place look more spectacular than reality, at least on the outside.  I’ve only heard good things about the Moulin Rouge and one day I’d like to see a show, preferable when I make more money and if getting dressed up and going to dinner and a show is your cup of tea then I would say this is a must do. 
WARNING: I would not go walking down the street of the Moulin Rouge on account of sexual assault.  In Paris if the men see you walking down that street, lined with lingerie and sex shops, they will harass you, especially if you look like a tourist.  If you’re a man I wouldn’t worry so much but women be careful and don’t walk anywhere alone. 

Amazing Architectural Attractions:
The Sacre Coeur or Sacred Heart Cathedral is an absolute piece of artwork, perfect for the city of Montmartre.  On a sunny day you will see street artists hanging outside, flocking to you to draw your picture, classical musicians playing on the steps and a beautiful view of Paris.  On the inside you can attend mass or just see the gorgeous gold interior.  It is possibly one of the most beautiful buildings I have seen in this city that I love. 


Today’s Business Shout Out!
Let’s give it up for Starbucks!  Just across the street from the Moulin Rouge you can find your favorite coffee shop.  If Parisian coffee just doesn’t do it for you no need to fear Starbucks is here.  In some ways it fits the hipster feel of the whole district so go ahead and enjoy. 


The Most Interesting Thing I Found:
On a list of places that you should eat in Paris there is the Soul Kitchen.  On the hike up a hill that you must make to get to the Sacre Coeur you will run into the Soul Kitchen and although the Sacre Coeur is full of food options I wouldn’t forget this one.  Another interesting fact: Amelie, the comedic French movie, was filmed at the Sacre Coeur so if it interests you I would suggest you watch it before you go and then you can feel like you were in the movie. 




I hope you fell in love with Montmartre as much as I did!  Au revoir! 

No comments:

Post a Comment